Deck Swing Cushion Re-do Project

When I brought out the cushions for my deck swing this year they were in really rough shape. They were several years old and the fabric was dirty and brittle. I tried to clean them but the fabric was in such bad shape that it just disintegrated.

The cushions after I tried cleaning them.

The cushions after I tried cleaning them.


I priced buying new cushions but man are those things expensive to get decent quality ones.

Recovering them seemed the way to go and originally I had a plan for all green and blue fabric as that is what I had in my fabric stash. Halfway through sewing the pieces together, I decided it was ugly and that I hated it, and came up with a new plan.
I took apart all three of the cushions so it was six single cushions. I then put them together into two rows of 3 cushions each. I wanted to make each set of 3 more like one solid bench type cushion. I had a bunch of leftover polyester quilt batting(I have since discovered the lovely-ness that is cotton quilt batting). I wrapped each set of 3 cushions in the batting to make one long cushy cushion.

I remembered that I had a huge piece of prequilted pink fabric that I had bought cheap at a yardsale years ago. I sewed a basic pillowcase shape to go over the cushions to hold everything in place. I hand sewed the end shut. I wanted to make the outer cover removable so that if I ever needed to I could replace/repair/wash it. I went through my fabric stash again and found that I still had a fair amount of leftover squares already made up from a quilt I had made.

All done and didn't cost a penny.

All done and didn’t cost a penny.


A few more squares needed to be put together, I added a border and a different color backing all from fabrics I already had.
I wanted a colorful, non fussy look so I didn’t worry too much about lines matching up/colors etc. I sewed the front and back like a pillowcase but made one of the ends fold over so that I could remove it.
It turned out great, and best of all it didn’t cost me anything as I used all fabric/supplies I already had. We put up a canopy this year over that part of the deck to protect the cushions (and us) from the sun and the rain. So hopefully these will last a few years.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.