I actually finished this a couple of days ago. I think it took me about 3 days start to finish and only working on it a little here and there.
I used Size 35 19mm knitting needles. I made up two balls of rag yarn. One was made up of fun colored/patterned fabrics and the other ball was made up of a cut up futon cover and an old sheet when I had used up all the futon cover fabric.
I cut the fabric into approx 1 1/2″ strips by however long the fabric was and then joined them. To join the strips,old over one end of every fabric strip approx 2-3″ and cut a small slit approx 1″. Take the the two pieces you plan to connect, line up the slits and feed the bottom of one strip into the hole. Pull it through and you should have one continuous strip. Keep joining strips and when you are done roll it into a ball.
I cast on 25 stitches using one strand from each ball of yarn. I didn’t have a specific pattern/size in mind. 25 stitches was all I could comfortably fit on the needles. I think to go bigger you would have to use circular knitting needles so that you would have room for more stitches. I kept knitting until I liked the length, I didn’t keep track of how many rows I knitted.
I haven’t measured it, but my guess is that it’s about 3 feet long and two feet wide. It does eat up a lot of fabric so it is a great scrap stash buster and a perfect use for old sheets. The texture is amazing. The finished rug is actually really soft and springy and feels neat when you walk on it. I think a rug made with all batik fabrics would be beautiful, but batik fabrics are so darn expensive that I could never bring myself to cut them up just for a rag rug. I often see really brightly patterned sheets at thrift shops for a dollar or less and they would be perfect for this.
Best of all it only cost approx $5.00 which was the cost of buying the needles. When I make another one it will be 100% free since I now own the needles.
I also plan on making some plarn (yarn made from plastic bags) and knitting a door mat soon.