I’m just about finished with my needle felted terrarium I am making for my cousin and his girlfriend. I felt like it needed a little more of something but I wasn’t sure what. I asked my husband and he suggested fiddlehead ferns. I looked them up and people do forage for them which is the theme for my terrarium and they are popular to forage for in Maine which is a bonus. They look like this:
I tried needle felting some and while they were O.K. I was having a hard time getting them to stand up and do what I wanted. If I put wire in them I thought they were too thick and bulky. After some trial and error experiments in fiddlehead making, I took florists wire cut into approx 2″ sections. I then put some white craft glue along the wire. The best thing I came up with was to take apart a piece of embroidery floss and use two of the threads. I then wrapped it around the wire and let the glue dry. Once it was dry I used my jewelry making needle nose pliers to wind the end down to get the circular fiddlehead shape. I snipped off the ends to make them the length I wanted. I made a small group of different sizes since that is how the pictures I looked at showed them growing. I glued them to the terrarium base and think they look kinda cute.