She was getting annoyed that I kept stopping to take her picture, which is why Brown isn’t looking at me in the pictures. We managed to get back home 10 minutes before the rain started. I don’t mind walking in the rain, but Brown hates it.
Brown wore out one of her dog beds recently, and I have been on a mission to either buy her one or make her one. I can easily sew a dog bed cover, the expensive part is finding a good filler for it. Sometimes it is less expensive to buy a dog bed. I can usually find really pretty ones in large sizes at TJMaxx/Homegoods which is where the last one came from. The last few times I have been in I have not seen anything that caught my eye or if it did catch my eye they cost more than I wanted to spend.
Last weekend we dropped off a bunch of stuff to a thriftshop and then went in to take a look around. I saw this:
At first I thought it was some kind of beanbag type thing. I poked it a little and to my delight discovered that it was filled with down. It seemed sort of deflated but appeared to be about full bed sized. The outer material looked intact and I figured maybe I could scrunch it up and use it to make a dog bed.
Back in October I bought a dark grey corduroy material that I thought would make a great dog bed cover. I took it out and while I love the fabric I wanted something a little more custom and interesting. I also realized that I was NOT in the mood to do any pieced quilting, applique or anything too fussy. I decided on using bright colored thread and quilting the grey material myself.
First I drew my lines on in chalk. Yeah I know I screwed up some of the lines. That’s what happens when you have a small workroom and don’t feel like setting up the big table to work on. I did not use a pattern for the bed or the quilting. I cut out the bed pieces as large as I could make them from the grey fabric piece I had, then used a regular ruler to make guidelines for the quilting.
I did the first set of lines in a thread color called Aqua from www.connectingthreads.com.
I ended up choosing a different thread color for the second set of lines. This time the color was Calypso from www.connectingthreads.com
Yes, I know my lines aren’t straight/perfectly spaced.
I made a huge, boneheaded mistake that resulted in having to do the bottom of the bed in this blue corduroy. I love it but grrrrr.(I cut the backing fabric for the sides instead of the piece I had for the sides which was smaller)
I made a velcro closure just in case I ever wanted to take it apart. I normally throw the entire dog bed in the wash without taking off the cover so the velcro wasn’t strictly necessary.
I was a little worried about squishing all that down into the cover I made which was about 1/4 of the size of the down blanket thing I started with. It squished in perfectly. Whew!
Brown hasn’t been on it yet, but the cats like it.
This project came in at approx. $20 for everything, which I think is pretty darn good for a large, down filled dog bed.