Picking out paint.
I’ve been working on a quilted pillow cover for my aunt. The plan is for it to fit a 16″x16″ pillow form and have a zipper. When my cousin(her daughter) got married last year, I made a quilt for them as a wedding gift. I have some scraps of the fabrics I used in the quilt left and thought a quilted pillow would be nice for my aunt, and have a happy connection to the wedding.
Since I seem to be on a bit of a sewing kick I finally got around to making some pillow cases. I need regular size pillow cases but I really needed two king sized pillow cases.
I love flannel bedding all year round so I looked through my flannel fabric stash. I like this fabric, although I’m not in love with it. I needed a lot of fabric to make two king sized cases, and there was more than enough of this fabric.
I measured a sham I had and used that as my guide for the size. I really enjoy making pillowcases, now I just need to make some regular pillow sized ones.
In my previous post I sewed myself a new ironing board pad and cover. My ironing board pad was in great shape, but I had made it a little too small which is why I made a new one.
I like to use several layers of cotton batting when I make an ironing board pad. I hated to waste the pad by throwing it out. I have an XL ironing board so the pad was pretty big, and it was nice and cushy. I use little mats around the house for the cats to sleep on and the cut up pad would be perfect for that.
I managed to get two large rectangles and one small square out of the pad.
I rummaged through my fabric stash for fabric for the covers and whipped up two cat mats. Nothing fancy this time, just simple covers. I’m going to take the small square and make a hot pad with it.
I left the finished cat mats on my ironing board and when I looked back a cat was on them!
I’ve needed to make a new ironing board cover for a few weeks now. I just made one not long ago, but I was trying to be
cheap ummm thrifty and use up some polyester fabric that I bought by mistake. I loved the pattern but I hate polyester fabric. It made a great ironing board cover except that I cut the pad for the board a 1/2″ too short, and then the polyester fabric started to wear out on the sides.
This isn’t really a pattern as I don’t follow a pattern when I make one of these. This is the third ironing board cover I have made so I just wing it, but there are many great tutorials online if you need help.
I like to use 3 layers of cotton quilt batting for my pad. If you have a useable pad then reuse it. I had some odd pieces of quilt batting left over from a quilt project and luckily they fit the ironing board.
I cut my pad too short last time so I needed to make a new one. I lay the quilt batting on the ironing board and cut all around it approx 3″ longer on all sides than the ironing board. I like to sew around the edge so that the layers don’t shift.
I then choose my ironing board cover fabric and do the same thing with it, but leaving approx 4″ around. I fold under a
tiny bit approx 1/4″ of the cover fabric and sew that down.
I then fold over approx. 1 inch of the cover fabric and sew that down. You are making a pocket for the elastic to go though so make sure that you leave approx. 1″ at the end of the ironing board cover that you can put the elastic through.
I use 1/4 inch elastic(you could use elastic cord or whatever you had on hand as long as it was sturdy. I like to tie one end to a locker hook and hold the other end in my hand. I insert the locker hook into one side of the opening that was left at the bottom of the cover.
The locker hook is rigid and makes it super easy to thread the elastic all the way around the cover. When I have finished threading the elastic, I bring the cover over to the ironing board and put it on over the pad. If it looks good and fits well, I tighten the elastic by pulling on it until the cover is on snugly and then I tie the elastic. That’s it, a new ironing board cover that took less than an hour to make and used supplies I already had in the house.