Garden update

I have tried to grow carrots several times in the past. I never had one bit of success with them. I did some research this year to see if there was a carrot I might have better luck with. One of the carrots I found was the Red Cored Chantenay carrot.

“Introduced from France in the late 1800s. Blocky, broad-shouldered variety with blunt tip, about 5-1/2″ long and 2-1/2″ at the shoulder. Deep orange interior. Adaptable to clay and a wide range of soils. A versatile, good winter keeper that is quite tasty, raw or cooked. Stores well in the ground. Becomes sweeter in storage.”

This is a shorter, stump-shaped carrot that is broad at the top, but tapers into a stump root. It is a great choice to grow in average garden soil. This carrot variety stores well and can be used in all stages.

I read that for years (not sure about now) it was used as the carrot in canned soups etc. It was the go to carrot for the processed food industry.  I thought I might have better luck with this carrot and was able to find seeds at Home Depot.  I didn’t do anything to make the garden soil more carrot friendly so I was a little concerned.

When we went out to check the corn which is planted next to it look what we saw…….orange carrot tops starting to poke out of the soil. I’m super excited about this, almost as excited as I am to see the corn ears starting to come in.

image

image

Every July, peas grow there.

Anytime I do anything with peas I always quote from Rosebud Frozen Peas “full of country goodness and green peaness“.

First official pea harvest. We have been harvesting sugar snap peas for a few weeks now, but those are starting to die off in the heat. The regular peas though are starting to come in and are delicious. I like to pick a few when they are still small, the pods aren’t tasty like the snap pea pods, but the peas are sweet and yummy, it’s like eating candy.image

image

image

Dyeing wool with marigolds and turmeric

I needed some yellow wool for my mushroom project. I looked through my wool stash that I usually use for spinning and did not find any yellow. I did find some mystery white wool that I figured I could dye. There was no identification with this and I don’t remember what it is.

image

White mystery wool roving I found in my stash.

I thought about using Kool-Aid to dye it yellow but then I thought about trying to use flowers to dye it. I’m making this for my cousin who is into foraging so it seemed fitting to use an edible plant to color wool that I was using to make another needle felted edible plant.

image

Yellow marigolds that are still blooming in my garden.

I had yellow marigolds still blooming in my garden. Marigolds are edible and can also be used to color/ dye things. I seem to remember reading somewhere that marigolds are called the poor mans saffron.

image

I only had a few yellow marigold plants so these are all the flowers I could get.

Unfortunately most of my marigold plants were orange, so I had to make do with only a handful of yellow flowers.

image

I just winged it and simmered them in water and some vinegar.

Since this was for a craft project I wasn’t so worried about color-fastness. I filled a saucepan with a couple of inches of water, added some vinegar and put the marigolds in. I just guessed with proportion of everything.

image

After the flowers simmered for about 1/2 an hour. They turned translucent and look so pretty.

I simmered the flowers for approx 1/2 an hour. They started to turn the water yellow and the flowers became translucent and looked really pretty floating in the water.

image

The wool soaking after I strained the flowers out. I added a dash of turmeric to make the color a little stronger.

I strained the flowers out and put the dye back in the sauce pan. You can see a little bit of sand that did not get strained out. Using a finer filter would have prevented this, but it wasn’t too bad. I simmered the wool for a few minutes and then left it to steep for about 1/2 an hour. I didn’t have time yesterday to let it go longer. Even if I had let it go longer I’m not sure it would have gotten darker. The marigolds made it a nice yellow, but it was a little a paler than I wanted. I added a small pinch of turmeric to try and get the color bolder. It worked great and made the color a much stronger yellow.

image

Before and after.

I set the wool out to dry and the color is perfect for what I need it for.  I’m really happy with the results.